CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 2, 2012

Brrrr ... Baby iiiiit's coooold ouuuuutsiiide

Here we GOOOO! My very first TUTORIAL!!
Cute Heart Handwarmers! Perfect for the cold winter weather and for that very special holiday coming up :) MY FAVORITE holiday!!! VALENTINE'S DAY <3
Okay first things first - get a scrap of fabric (if you don't have any scraps laying around go to the fabric store and look in there remnant bin (clearance!) or just get like an eighth of a yard (although that depends upon the number of handwarmers you would like to make ... whatever you'll figure it out ... any questions just ask)
So here's my fabric
NEXT you're gonna want to make a template (or pattern piece) so all your fabric pieces are exactly the same.  I found an old card (it's nice and sturdy ... but you can use anything ... and ps I LOVE MONKEYS! Especially one's with pink flowers in their hair!)


NOW draw half a heart (on the fold of course) my heart is 5" tall and 3" wide (folded in half = 6" unfolded)


cut it out open it up and TADA! your pattern piece


now take your fabric and fold over a little section (just big enough to fit your FOLDED heart template ... we don't want to waste any fabric).  Press (iron for all you non sewers) your fold (so it's nice and crisp!)


Place your heart template on the folded fabric and CUT


da da da daaaaa


AND Voila!! (open it up and press)


Now make four more just like it


Find some matching thread (unless you are a complete rebel ... whatever floats your boat)


Place one heart on top of the other with RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER (so you will be looking at the wrong side (or underside ... if you have printed fabric the side that doesn't have a print ... whew I probably over explained that ... but I want to be thorough) 
NOW start stitching ... I start stitching in the middle of one of the "sides" you'll need to leave a little opening to flip the fabric


Here's a TRICK I've learned ... for nice pointy points (which you need for it to actually look like a heart) stitch to the crease line then with your  NEEDLE DOWN (in the fabric) lift the presser foot and rotate the fabric and stitch ONE straight stitch then with the NEEDLE DOWN again rotate the fabric so that the presser foot is in line with the fabric (the diagonal of the heart) and stitch all the way around until you get to the crease again on the top ... and do the same thing you did on the bottom (needle down, rotate, one straight stitch, needle down, rotate, stitch the rest of the way)


So I'm sorry I should have used different color thread so you can see (I'm still learning) BUT if you look closely you can see the stitches and where I left a little opening so I can flip it right side out ...


Flip it, Flip it good! Use your fingers and really make sure the edges are perfect, and PRESS


Now get some rice (or corn - the feed kind you don't want pop corn when you put it in the microwave)


Add some essential oil (I got mine at Hi-Health but you can get it at the Vitamin Shoppe or any other health food or supplement shop).  Sprinkle 10 drops of essential oil per cup of rice ... I used peppermint oil just because it's winter and I love it but you can use whatever sent you like :) you can also sprinkle more or less oil (or no oil at all ... just depends if you want a scent and how strong a scent you want)


Mix it up! Then, use a funnel to scoop the rice in your handwarmer (I use 1/3 c of rice for each handwarmer) but that measurement is based on the size of my heart (just fill it until it's almost full but make sure you leave a little room so you can sew the opening closed on your machine)
TOP STITCH (stitch really close to the edge) the opening closed and ... drum roll please!


DA DA DA DAAAAA! (now do that one more time and you'll have a pair)


Pop 'em in the microwave for a minute and they will keep your hands toasty warm :)
These are a pair I made for my Momma.  The fabric I used is from scraps I had left over after making her scrub tops <3


Okay so obviously I made hearts ... but you can make them in any shape you want
ALSO you don't have to use them for handwarmers all the time! In the summer you can put them in the freezer and they can be little ice packs (to keep you cool OR for little owies).
Well there you have it ... my first tutorial ... I hope you enjoyed it (and that it was very helpful)
Let me know if you have any questions!
AND don't forget to follow me ;)
Lots of Love
<3

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Ohmygosh - I can't WAIT to make these!
1. What kind of sewing machine do you have?
2. thank you for over-explaining the right side - my sewing teacher tried hard with us but just never clicked with me, totally makes sense now!

*Christina* said...

YAY! Glad my "over explaining" helped :)
I have a Husqvarna/Viking (model #425 - again maybe too specific). I got it in HS so it's SUPER OLD!!! But I LOVE it <3
What kind do you have?? How's the sewing class? Did you make anything yet?

Post a Comment